Wednesday 22 August 2007

Welcome

So because I'm such a saddo with little in my life, I've decided to start a blog on Pro Wrestling. Maybe, with more happening in pro wrestling than my own life, I might actually write a bit more for this blog.

I'm going to use this blog to discuss pro wrestling rumours, storylines, matches etc from whatever wrestling I've seen recently. Expect WWE, TNA, ROH and a tiny bit of other stuff.

You should also expect my opinion. Which is easily confused with scientific fact. But don't worry about that.

I'll start with my preview of Summerslam next weekend.

Summerslam, as one of the big 4 is also a PPV in the UK. I'm actually tempted to fork out £15 to watch this year. The first time I will ever have done so. Maybe it's because the card's good, maybe because there's a day off work on monday, or maybe because I can afford it now. Either way, let's start by looking at the card...

John Cena vs. Randy Orton

If, 6 months ago, you will have told me that this was the main event for Summerslam, I would've been disappointed. Both wrestlers have done well to keep main event status despite the fact that their characters are shallow and have never developed. Despite this, there's a reason for them being over. And the past few weeks of building this feud has actually been quite exciting. Randy Orton looks to be a superstar and Cena is some chump who probably found the strap in the locker room. Undoubtedly, this underdog status that Cena has at every PPV is because when he wins at the PPV, it'll get him over. There's not a chance that Cena will lose this match. He never loses. That fact gets him over with kids and makes adults bored of him. We need a new champ.

My prediction: 50/50 throughout, momentum shift to Orton towards the end, then Cena gets it out of nowhere.
Clean finish likelihood: 30%
What I want to happen: Orton walking out with the strap after a clean finish

Triple H vs. King Booker

I've never particularly enjoyed watching HHH in the ring. I don't find anything outstanding about knee combos. I've not been particularly fussed about his comeback either. But for some reason I've been swept up in all the hype of his return. Wrestling gossip sites have been mentioning how there's fuss about his return without even implying that they're excited, but I've still managed to get excited for his return!

Booker's absolutely great. The King Booker gimmick is tired, but I'm glad they stuck with it. It keeps him fresh, and I doubt he'd get any heat (face or heel) if he was still asking if we could dig it. I'm guessing HHH wanted Booker to be his opponent for his comeback match because let's face it, he's got a bit of pulling power these days and tends to get what he wants. For this reason, I'm excited for this match. Triple H has had 6 months of rehab time to think of spots for this one match against an opponent he wants to fight. I for one can't wait.

My prediction: Early advantage to Booker. Triple H to win cleanly by pinfall.
Clean finish likelihood: 85%
What I want to happen: Early advantage to Booker. Triple H to win cleanly by pinfall.

The Great Khali vs. Batista

Oh God why? This match will be dog vomit of the most acidic variety. Khali's selling on satellite delay will do nothing in a match that will undoubtedly do a lot to get Batista even more over. This is a World title match. By law, all world title matches must last at least 20 minutes. Khali couldn't even wrestle Kane convincingly for 10 minutes on Smackdown last week or do a convincing 5 minute beatdown on Dave. This match will be worse than listening to Def Leppard.

My prediction: No one will care
Clean finish likelihood: 99%
What I want to happen: Khali to have an asthma attack

Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero

Rey Mysterio's much-anticipated return. Against an opponent he no doubt also chose. This will be the pop of the night. Rey will be massively over (pay attention Cena) and the match will be quite good.

My prediction: Huge pops for Rey and his signature moves, heel tactics from Chavo getting massive heat. A win for Rey.
Clean finish likelihood: 75%
What I want to happen: A close match with a nice little rub for Chavo to make this feud a little more interesting

John Morrison vs. CM Punk

CM Punk will win this match. Undoubtedly. I'm guessing this storyline is the storyline they wanted Punk to follow with Benoit. Imagine if Punk had been chasing him and the title for a few months and to win it at Summerslam. It would've been a rub comparable to the one RVD got off Bam Bam when he won the ECW title way back when, and Punk would have been a superhero.

Morrison's new character is great. It's a polished version of Nitro and is perfect for a heel with the strap. However Punk's gotta be the smark's choice for this match. Especially considering he lost by pinfall on the ECW show prior to the PPV.

My prediction: Hard fought battle throughout. Punk kicks out of all of Morrison's signature moves and gets a flurry of offense before the GTS for the clean pinfall.
Clean finish likelihood: 99%
What I want to happen: See above.

Umaga vs. Carlito vs. Mr. Kennedy

This match is probably the reason I'll be buying the PPV. These three wrestlers are top talent. Umaga's slated face turn will be great if last week's Raw was anything to go by. His hot tag got a huge pop and his execution of moves is just full of intensity. His no-sell of the Backcracker was one of the best things I've seen on Raw in a while. The way he turned around to see a scared Carlito was great. The only downside to a potential face-turn is that he'll probably get very cartoony very quickly and lose any kind of credibility that the character once had.

This match is definitely there to set up a feud between Kennedy and Umaga. Neither needs to win the IC title for them to have a great feud, but then again I can't see this feud without a belt. Despite this, Carlito taking on a new face in a feud sounds alright too.

My prediction: Umaga to pin Kennedy after they both spend the entire match killing Carlito. I expect a big spot (probably through the announcers' table) to take Carlito out so Umaga and Kennedy can slug it out for the win.
Clean finish likelihood: 99%
What I want to happen: All three men battering the crap out of each other and Kennedy winning.

And thus the preview of Summerslam is complete. The card makes for quite a good PPV. The only thing that would make it suck is if they over-do the Vince McMahon "Who's my son?" storyline between matches. I'm expecting funny vignettes, but anything more will suck.

I'll keep writing, so you keep reading.

No comments: